Is she serious?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bloom chicks, Dec 8, 2011.

1. bloom chicks

bloom chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    I have a hen that has always slept on the roost. She is 29 weeks old. Tonight when I closed the coop door she was missing! I found her in her nest box. She has never slept in there before. When I put my hand near her she screamed. Should I leave her there! Is she broody?....... She does like to lay on her eggs for the morning after she lays her egg. Then she gets up around noon or so, but she has never slept in her box.

2. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Sounds like she could be Broody!

3. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Quote:I second that. Broodies are fun and mean. I have a silkie who is starting to go, again. That breed is she?

4. bloom chicks

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    She is a Red Rock. I am kind of hoping that she is....... I want to make sure I pick out the right eggs from my girls. This will be my 1st time doing this...... I was trying to find info on picking out the right eggs such as size, shape, color, ect....... I do have some girls that lay very pointy eggs. BTW my girls have only been laying about a month thus far. Thank you so much for any input or advice.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  5. Jferlisi

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Quote:Oh you are welcome. I would just pick the eggs of good size and from the birds you like the most if not planning on breeding.

6. bloom chicks

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    Sorry, I am new to this whole thing...... What do you mean if not breeding?...... I would like my chickens to have babies. [​IMG]

7. Jferlisi

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Quote:Its all good. Well i noticed you have some buff orp hens and a buff orp roo and the barred rocks quad. So i was wondering if you were going to breed them and sell the chicks or just to get more chicks. If you just want more i would pick you favorite hens and put the eggs from them under her Or alot of BO eggs. LOL

8. bloom chicks

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    Oh Okay [​IMG] I am just starting out with chickens. I would love to have more...... I am a little concerned about my BR I have 3 girls and only one is laying and her eggs are very pointy. I have heard a lot of people say the BR are the best layers...... So far mine haven't been that great they are 28 weeks old but they are sweethearts ( they are on the bottom of the pole). If I try to hatch out there eggs will there babies be the same way. MY BO are awesome layer as well as my reds.

9. Jferlisi

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Most likely they aren't laying is because its winter and the days are short. As for the order it will always be changing, and yes once the hen stops protecting them and all that they will be lower on the order.

10. bloom chicks

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by