is she show quaility

Sillystunt

Master of the Silly
11 Years
Jul 11, 2008
Winter Haven, FL
So i am very confused on what makes a chicken show quaility......Does breed matter? i have a RIR but i feel she is tooo lighty. i have another pullet that is darker but still needs to grow...here's the pic's

here's the pullet, much darker

my nephew wants to do 4h and i was gonna let him use our hen

Year of the Rooster

Sebright Savvy
11 Years
Jun 27, 2008
West Central Ohio
The first one looks like a mix between a RIR and a Buff Orp. The legs are white when they should be yellow. The second one would be fine to use, but I don't think it would be old enough? Not sure.

pips&peeps

There is no "I" in Ameraucana
Jan 18, 2008
Newman Lake, WA
If they came from a hatchery, they are not show quality. No, the first one is not, the second is too young.

They should be at least 20 weeks old to take to a show.

rodriguezpoultry

Langshan Lover
11 Years
Jan 4, 2009
Claremore, OK
pips&peeps :

If they came from a hatchery, they are not show quality. No, the first one is not, the second is too young.

They should be at least 20 weeks old to take to a show.

I'll just add this:
"They should be at least 20 weeks old to take to a show (and WIN!)"

You can take any bird to a show...but if you plan on winning, quality and maturity counts.​

danischi24

Loves naked pets
11 Years
Aug 17, 2008
Australia
They are both too light. If you want a hatchery bird for him to do 4H with, avoid RIRs as they are never the right color.

Sillystunt

Master of the Silly
11 Years
Jul 11, 2008
Winter Haven, FL
thanks!! I figured first one was a no go, i believed she was a mutt...lol
The second one i will train for him. She doesn't like people which maybe a problem. Might push the barred rock on him. She is sooo good with people and super friendly.

So would you suggest breeds from a breeder in future? I saw some dorkings at a hatchery~ But should i look for a breeder instead. i think he would love showing them and i would like a couple as well,,,,lol

Top Bottom