Is she shy/cautious, or ready to lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nic&Chickies, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Nic&Chickies

Nic&Chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    New Britain, CT
    We just got a Black Australorp, Tuesday, I think. She's about the same age as our chicks/pullets that we got on Chick Day (arrived at the feed store the same time), prob'ly 18 weeks or older. None of those have begun laying yet. She seems to spend a LOT of time in the nest box. Being the New Chick in the Flock, of course she's been getting picked on by some of the others, notably Comet--who used to get the same treatment when she was the new, little one-- and the Polish, who is lately starting to show obnoxious behavior, similar to that which told us a previous "hen" was actually a roo.
    Does it seem more likely that she is just hiding out in the nest box, to keep herself out of the way of the "Brats" who are bothering her, or is preparing to use the box for its intended purpose, i.e. getting ready to lay?

2. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    could be either really, is she squatting? if when you reach down to pet her she squats in place and kinda pulls her wings away from her body you will know she's going to start laying soon

3. Nic&Chickies

Nic&Chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    New Britain, CT
    Quote:Thank you! I didn't even think about that. [​IMG] Hmm, I'm not sure. The only one I ever notice doing the squat is Comet (one of the 2 Instigators). Most of the flock wouldn't deign to let a human near them (unless, perhaps, treats are involved) let alone pet them! Now, there's a reason to force myself to get some fresh air & go play with the chickies tomorrow: Social research!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by