Is She Sick, Broody, Both, or Else?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Erin~TheChickenLover, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Erin~TheChickenLover

Erin~TheChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Arkansas River Valley
    I am really worried about Tinker. She is a frizzle and about 7 or 8 months old. I thought she was just going broody, but now she seems comatose. When I took her out of the nesting box, she sank to the ground. Her eyes are dull and half closed. She is unstable on her feet and has her tail feathers down. I mixed up vitamin water and added a little sugar to it and made her drink a good fill. I know an egg has not broke inside her because she has been laying. Is this normal for her first time going broody? I thought they were supposed to try to bite your hand off if you came near. I have her in the nest box (it's removable) in my room resting right now. Is there something I can or need to do?

2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

the tail down part is a sign of egg bound and so is the staying in the nesting box. I would look up egg bound on byc and find a page on it.

The only things I know to do is submerge them in warm water for atleast 30 minutes then give her olive oil to help her pass it. I fI find anything else I will post it.[​IMG]

3. Erin~TheChickenLover

Erin~TheChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Arkansas River Valley
    Ok, thank you! I will definently look it up.

4. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

Oh and if you find that she is DONT TRY TO BREAK THE EGG. It can cause infection inside of her and it gives her a 80% chance of surviving. Crossing fingers for you.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by