1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is she sick or broody again?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by warmfuzzies, May 4, 2009.

1. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    My cochin is acting weird today. She has been making a strange noise when she breaths, almost like she is horse. She breaths with her mouth open, but I think she was panting slightly, she also had her wings spread and it was hot. She has no musoc from her nose, and when she bocks it sounds very strange. Almost like a cough, but she wasnt coughing. It sounded like a horser version of her broody voice. Her legs did not feel warm, and she is acting normal except for staying close to the coop.

She diddnt go out ranging today, but stayed up close to the coop. She has four to five week old chicks, but she has mostly 'weaned' them. They werent with her all day today or yesterday either. And she has not been covering them at night, but I think she is still sleeping on the floor.

IS she just broody again, or should I sepperate her?

ETA I just went out and she is not panting anymore, or making that noise, since it has cooled down.

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  2. NotTheMomma

NotTheMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

I've no idea, but hope someone does.

This website is a great teaching tool, and helps others be prepared if the same symptoms show up with their flock.

GOOD LUCK![​IMG]

3. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    She seems much better today, I think she was overheated. These poor fluffy black cochins in the hot summers here!

But, she did sleep on the floor last night. She was on one egg, but today she is up again. So I will keep an eye on her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by