Is she sick or getting picked on? UPDATE! Figured it out!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NRacine, Feb 12, 2009.

1. NRacine

NRacine Songster

Sep 2, 2008
    Hi all,
    My pullets are 23 weeks, and this is my first time having chickens. Their combs are starting to turn pretty red and I think they will be laying soon. I just noticed scabs on the comb of the the lowest hen in the pecking order. So, is she sick with some gross disease or is she just getting beat up? Either way, looks nasty to me,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance, I love Big Bird, hope she's okay!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Crowing Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    If she is the lowest in the pecking order then you are pretty guaranteed that those are scabs from being picked on. She'll be okay! I would just try to add something to the run or coop to keep your girls occupied so they won't feel so inclined to pick on her. Something like a Flock Block that Purina makes would be good. [​IMG]

3. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I would guess she is being picked on if she is lowest on the totem pole [​IMG]

4. NRacine

NRacine Songster

Sep 2, 2008
    Oh, thanks guys! I was worried. They just went through a homemade suet cake and an acorn squash. I guess they need more. If getting ready to lay eggs is like getting ready to get your period, then I understand.

5. NRacine

NRacine Songster

Sep 2, 2008
    Okay, Big Bird must be an extra dumb chicken. I found a chunk of comb stuck on the hardware cloth of the door directly across from the ladder. My guess is she just jumped/flew out kamikaze-style and crashed her dumb face into the door. Who does that?!? She's cute, but not so smart.[​IMG]

6. My Buff Orp Roo often rubs his comb against the hardware cloth so many times he has scabs on top. Instead of picking around like his girls he just walks on one side of the pen scratching his comb up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by