Is she sick, or is she broody???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Granolamom, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Granolamom

Granolamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Dallas
    Sarah, my 9 month old BO hen, always takes a long time to lay an egg. Today, though, she's beaten any record: she's been in the nesting box since 10am, and she's still in there (it is now almost 5pm). Also, I've noticed quite a few orange feathers in the nesting box as of late (she's my only BO).
    We've dusted our chickens with SevinDust for the 2nd time yesterday, to get rid of poultry lice. I'm mentioning this, because I'd like to know if staying in the nesting box could be an indication of some sort of illness or adverse reaction to the bug killer, or is it for sure broodiness? And if she's broody, is there anything else I should do for her, other than move her and the eggs into a rabbit hutch we've saved just for that purpose, and giving her food and water in there? How long should I wait, before I move her into her very own "maternity suite"?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  2. cackle

cackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Not sure. Sounds broody to me but I am new to chickens. Hopefully someone who knows will answer.

3. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Keep an eye on her to make sure nothing sudden comes up. If she stays in the nest box all night, instead of roosting, and also the next day, then it may be safe to say she is broody.

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Pick her up and see if her underside is going bare. If she has pin feathers, or you can feel bare skin easily, this is called a "broody patch" which means she is getting ready to set. The feathers in the nest box should be an indicator.

5. naturemom

naturemom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2007
    northern IL
    Sounds quite possible that she's broody. Does she ruffle up her feathers and squeal or peck at you?

6. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    Quote:Dittom, she will definately let you know she doesn't want to be messed with if she is broody. It does sound like she is broody for sure though. Is she still on the nest tonight?

7. Granolamom

Granolamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Dallas
    Well, she got off the nest around 6:30 pm, last night, after having sat on it ALL DAY LONG. She acts back to her old self now, but ruffles her feathers and squaks whenever one of us get close to her. Was this a fluke, or is she perhaps in the very beginning stages...?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by