Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No she’s fine

• Other (state below)

• She’s a runt

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
My family had chickens on the farm when I was growing up. I got my first flock of backyard chickens as an adult around 7 years ago? It consisted of four Black Australorps and two Golden Sexlinks.

When they were chicks, one of the Australorps was much smaller & lighter weight than the others. She also was less active and did not seem to eat as much for the first several days. Sometimes when she pooped, the little organ in her vent would shoot out and then quickly go back in. I felt sorry for her and almost put her down. Then she started doing better. I named her Merrick. (After a character in a movie-not the disease!)

Merrick was at the bottom of the pecking order in that first flock. Strangely enough, she was best buddies with the B.A. who was at the top of the pecking order (Whitney) who would often defend her from another hen who was inclined to pick on her. Whitney was huge & magnificent. No one dared to peck Whitney except for little Merrick who was like half her size. (Circular pecking order?) She was a feisty little thing despite her size.

Fast forward about seven years. Merrick is the lone survivor of that first flock. She turned out to be the best & most reliable layer out of the B.A."s and the healthiest of the bunch. She finally stopped laying last year. Have had three sets of chicks since the first flock and for a time Merrick was #1 in the pecking order. The Buff Brahmas have more or less taken over the top due to their size & weight but little Merrick is still pretty high up.

Anyway, who knows? Your little chick may surprise you!

My family had chickens on the farm when I was growing up. I got my first flock of backyard chickens as an adult around 7 years ago? It consisted of four Black Australorps and two Golden Sexlinks.

When they were chicks, one of the Australorps was much smaller & lighter weight than the others. She also was less active and did not seem to eat as much for the first several days. Sometimes when she pooped, the little organ in her vent would shoot out and then quickly go back in. I felt sorry for her and almost put her down. Then she started doing better. I named her Merrick. (After a character in a movie-not the disease!)

Merrick was at the bottom of the pecking order in that first flock. Strangely enough, she was best buddies with the B.A. who was at the top of the pecking order (Whitney) who would often defend her from another hen who was inclined to pick on her. Whitney was huge & magnificent. No one dared to peck Whitney except for little Merrick who was like half her size. (Circular pecking order?) She was a feisty little thing despite her size.

Fast forward about seven years. Merrick is the lone survivor of that first flock. She turned out to be the best & most reliable layer out of the B.A."s and the healthiest of the bunch. She finally stopped laying last year. Have had three sets of chicks since the first flock and for a time Merrick was #1 in the pecking order. The Buff Brahmas have more or less taken over the top due to their size & weight but little Merrick is still pretty high up.

Anyway, who knows? Your little chick may surprise you!
Thanks!

Electrolytes! Scrambled egg! Both of those things will really help a chick to gain energy and grow.

As for the peeping, that’s natural. She isn’t used to you yet, so your holding her becomes stressful. I always hold mine in pairs so that they have one of their own with them, and it isn’t so scary.

Electrolytes! Scrambled egg! Both of those things will really help a chick to gain energy and grow.

As for the peeping, that’s natural. She isn’t used to you yet, so your holding her becomes stressful. I always hold mine in pairs so that they have one of their own with them, and it isn’t so scary.
thanks!

Just and update: (I hate when people don't update threads) the Speckled Sussex is doing great! She's now 15 weeks old, a little smaller than the others (may just be breed) and VERY bold! She'll peck at anything, my hair, my shoes, my jeans, :) And even walk right up to the full grown hens!

1624051612052.png

Back
Top Bottom