Is she sick???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Dolly1218, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Dolly1218

Dolly1218 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    Colorado
    Ok so my little Rachel has been sneezing all day today. She is 6 days old, and i am worried she might be sick. Could she just be allergic to something? Is there any medicine I can give her? I tried to call a vet but everyone is closed on sundays so I thought asking everyone on BYC would be the next best thing :) Should I seperate her from her 2 sisters? There is no gunk around her eyes or nose and she runs from me when I reach into their brooder. Although after she sneezes her nose is just a little runny but not much. I have noticed she has been laying down more, when shes drinking water shes laying down, same with eating, and she only moves away from the heat lamp when she is eating/drinking. So what do you all think? Should I take her into a vet tomorrow? Or give her some kind of medicine? If you need more information, let me know. Thank you!!!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Dolly1218,

She may or may not have an infection. Does she have a way to dunk her entire little head into clean lukewarm water several times a day? Even if it's just a little morsel, ducks can get gunk (food, poop, lint, who knows?) in their nares which can cause infections that can become quite serious.

Good for you, for paying close attention!

Have the ducklings had a little swim yet? At 6 days old, an 85 degree F bath, in water just up to their tummies so they can stand easily for about 5 minutes would be great, if you aren't already doing that. It may help their preen glands get going, too.

Don't rule out the vet, but see how she does with some head-dunking time.

And after the bath, they need to be right back into a relatively clean, warm brooder. If they don't immediately start to preen, give them a little help with a dry washcloth to dry them off so they won't get a chill.

Gosh, I loved those days of babies in the tub!![​IMG]

3. Dolly1218

Jan 4, 2012
    Colorado

Their water is deep enough/has enough space to dunk their heads but I havent seen any of them do it. I havent given a bath yet, im going to now and maybe it will help her. How long should I give it before taking her to a vet?

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    See how she's doing in the morning after a bath and a little rest overnight. Do yours sleep through the night? Mine did at first. The older they got, the more they tended to nap for a while and chatter for a while.

5. Dolly1218

Jan 4, 2012
    Colorado
    Ok thank you. They sleep through most of night, they go to sleep around 9/10 and wake up at 3am, then its hour power naps the rest of the night/day. She seems to be sneezing less since her bath but I still hear it every few minutes or so

6. birdboy82

birdboy82 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2012
    if it has syneesitus you migt have to get tylen and give it half a cc. but hopefully its not that that can be fatal.

7. Dolly1218

Jan 4, 2012
    Colorado
    Ok, thank you. She seems to be doing better after her 2nd bath. Although I did notice her sister Monica will not dip her head or nose in the water. She will only put just the tip of her beak in any water. Does she know to clean her beak by dipping in water?

8. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    That's something all my runners seemed hardwired to do. But I have heard of human babies not nursing properly sometimes, so I suppose some ducklings might not do their nare cleaning. Perhaps she'll get the idea from watching the others.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    usually it's instinctual, when they are swimming in the tub she doesn't duck her head under?

10. Dolly1218

Jan 4, 2012
    Colorado
    No she doesnt. She wont lay in the water, or play in it, she tries to climb out of the tub and sometimes she squeaks when shes in the water. Ive heard runners arent as fond of water as other ducks but it seems Monica hates it more then the other two. If I put my hand down in the water, she jumps right up for me to pull her out. With their water dish, she only just barely puts her beak in to get a drink, but its just the very tip of her beak. Sometimes I clean her beak off with wet paper towel because it is so dirty and she wont touch the water. Rachels sneezing has stopped since her baths and shes starting to swim around in the water. Shes the biggest of the three, most adventureous, and the only one who hates to be touched. Phoebe is the middle in size and is now following in anything Rachel does first. Monica is the smallest and prefers to be held by me then in the brooder with the other two. Im worried she wont follow the other two in cleaning.. Will she eventually learn? Should I be doing anything for her? Thanks again for all the advice!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by