Is she "trying" to lay an egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by davekrista, Jul 14, 2010.

1. davekrista

davekrista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Uxbridge, MA
    I'm not sure if this is normal or not. We just got 6 RIR on Monday (age is a couple years is what we're told) and for the last couple of days, I've noticed 1 of them in the nesting box quite a bit. I've never seen an egg being laid, but it looks like she can't "get comfortable" while in the nesting box. She is fidgety and turns alot. Looks the her butt (just under her tail feathers - sorry don't know the terms for the body) but her "butt" looks like its contracting. She goes from one nesting box to another and sits there, then gets up and turns and sits.... I have some fake eggs in there, but she knocks them out so I don't think she is trying to hatch them..... Is she "trying" to lay an egg? Or what may be going on with her?

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    She's nesting. Turning around and moving the bedding around is normal nesting behavior.

3. NWChicks

NWChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2010
    Granite Falls, WA
    I have very limited experience myself but that sounds like exactly what my EE did when I first got her. We had her about a month before she finally laid an egg and she didn't start that behavior for a few weeks before she laid. I think it was 1-2 weeks of doing that when she finally got around to laying one. Of course it was when I was gone for the weekend and my husband texted me a picture of the egg! Little brat. Hope yours lay soon!

4. NWChicks

NWChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2010
    Granite Falls, WA
    I have very limited experience myself but that sounds like exactly what my EE did when I first got her. We had her about a month before she finally laid an egg and she didn't start that behavior for a few weeks before she laid. I think it was 1-2 weeks of doing that when she finally got around to laying one. Of course it was when I was gone for the weekend and my husband texted me a picture of the egg! Little brat. Hope yours lay soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by