Is she trying to quack?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckman4450, Oct 5, 2012.

1. duckman4450

duckman4450 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2012
    I have a duck Bubbles who is a female mallard. She is 9 and a half weeks old. For the past few weeks she has been opening her mouth strangely and looking like she trying to throw up or something. I've noticed she does this when geese fly over so I was thinking maybe she is trying to quack???? She also does this at random times, so I need a diagnosis! [​IMG] She is also starting to fly so maybe she is going to start quacking at the same time, maybe? If I hold her in my hands and put her out in front of me she will jump off and fly into a pile of pillows or the grass, but she can't stay up, but she lands softly. Any way here is a video I took a few hours ago

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    My ducks do that when they have some water in their ears, or when they are a little nervous.

Uhm, I am wondering . . . . my runners started wakking at about three or four weeks. Drakes generally are much quieter, and whisper. Has she ever quacked?

3. duckman4450

Aug 1, 2012
    I know - it is strange but I haven't heard her quack one time. In the morning her peeps are more raspy, but she still is peeping. Sometimes she almost does a honking sound that is like halfway between a quack and a peep

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I have read a story or two of someone being sure of the sex of their duck and then seeing them morph into the other sex. I think it was in Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks, actually.

As long as she is healthy, let her quack or not. Keep a close watch out for any signs of infection, swelling, lethargy, difficulty eating, odd poops, etc.

5. fowl farm

fowl farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2012
    I think Bubbles might be a drake. My Mallard drakes didn't start quacking, or rasping, until about 10 weeks but they had greenish bills. Maybe it's just the lighting, but Bubbles looks like he has a green bill. Of course, I could be wrong, which wouldn't be surprising. :)

6. Wokawidget

Wokawidget Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2009
    My duck did the honking noise for about a week before she started proper quacking...very amusing.
    Since we had no other ducks at the time I put some duck videos on my computer to coax a quack out of her :eek:)

Woka

7. duckman4450

Aug 1, 2012

I think you may be right. I was looking at Bubbles a few minutes ago and she (he) has green on her head where it looks black, but in certain lighting it is very green. Her bill is a full out olive color, like you mentioned pretty green. On her chest it is dark brown with black spots, it's almost orange. And considering she has the full blue speculum and hasn't even shown signs of quacking it would make sense. They all point to bubs being a drake. But the thing is at the hatchery he sexed the 2 ducks I picked up and said they were both females. A few weeks later I decided to check and I too agreed in saying they were both hens. I don't know!!! :rolleyes:

8. duckman4450

Aug 1, 2012

Hehehe I have duck calls (I've won a few competitions so I know I sound like a duck) and she pays no attention when I blow it because she's never heard a duck!! I got a new duck today and she can already quack and she's only 8 weeks which I why I suspect bubbles is a drake after all (though I think I'm returning the duck cause she is scared to death). Thanks for the reply!

9. duckman4450

Aug 1, 2012

Thanks for the reply, I'll be sure to watch her closely but I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary. As I was saying in another comment the hatchery owner sexed her as well as I did a few weeks later and we both came to the conclusion she was a hen, but she is showing so many signs of being a drake. Guess ill have to wait it out. I'll let everybody know in a few weeks if anything changes :)

10. fowl farm

fowl farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2012
    I've heard that sometimes the drakes are modest, so to speak. Like the drake feather. If they have it they are drakes, but not all drakes have it. In this case the drake sometimes just choices not to show. So when they declare 'Girl!' they aren't always going to get it 100% of the time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by