Is shipping proving too stressful for baby chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by djaousfarm, Apr 1, 2017.

1. djaousfarm

djaousfarm Just Hatched

Oct 30, 2016
    Hessel, Michigan
    I have just received an order of 25 jersey giants and 30 cornish chickens from meyer hatchery the other day and not even half of them survived... almost all except 5 where alive upon arrival and now most are dead, the ones that are alive are happily eating and drinking...

I have ordered from another hatchery before and I had all of the chicks alive.. i keep having problems with dead chicks, mites, etc from meyer hatchery...

1 person likes this.
  2. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    I just received 15 chicks on Wednesday from Meyer. 2 out of 15 were dead, but the rest were & still are very lively. This is the 3 order I got from Meyer in 7 years & the only time any were dead. Shipping may be stressful, but most chicks make it just fine. How were the remaining chicks acting when you got them? This is the first time I ever ordered this early. I have been satisfied with Meyer. When did you have all the other problems? Sorry you had such a hard time.

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I think it's pretty much impossible that mites came in with the chicks. Much more likely that they were in your brooder and/or bedding.

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    How much stress chicks undergo during transit depends in large part on weather conditions. If they encounter wide fluctuations in temperature, they could easily get chilled, and that, more than anything, is the cause of DOAs. Even though weather isn't the fault of the hatchery, they will replace or reimburse you for your losses. Just notify them within 48 hours of arrival.

Mites do not live on chickens, so whatever bugs you may see on chickens are poultry fleas or lice. Both are extremely unlikely on shipped newly hatched chicks, but if they are present in the bedding you are using in a brooder, chicks will quickly becomes infested.

5. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Shipping can be very stressful on chicks. Last season I lost 2 whole shipments from another hatchery... the chicks weren't that strong. The 3rd shipment from a breeder was in shipping 4 days and 14 out of 20 survived! Did you take any extra steps once they got home? I usually crush the crumble a little extra and add electrolytes to the water for a few days.

When you have broods that large it can be very difficult to detect pasty butt and to identify an individual who may be struggling. And they can get knocked down, not able to get back up fast enough and trampled very easily.

Since I've been hatching myself though, I can see that not all chicks will make it even if you have healthy parent stock. I had 11 hatch, 2 died within a couple days. And the remaining had 7 out 9 were boys. And 1 of the girls was taken by a predator at about 6 weeks. Guess you can't not only count your chickens before your eggs hatch, but even after that! Also, it's crazy to see how wobbly they are and can't even stand up. Hard to imagine them learning that during transport but they do!

In the end, I will have to be very desperate to order shipped chicks in the future as life just isn't that expendable to me. One breed I hope to get but don't know if I will be able to is Naked Neck Turken!

So shipped chicks as you have learned can also be stressful on us... I am sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

6. djaousfarm

djaousfarm Just Hatched

Oct 30, 2016
    Hessel, Michigan
    The chicks were notin contact with contaminated bedding, they stay inside with me, and they were the ONLY poultry I have that had mites. I have gotten rid of them and currently do not have a problem but YES they came with mites. Also, nothing is impossible.

7. djaousfarm

djaousfarm Just Hatched

Oct 30, 2016
    Hessel, Michigan
    Also... mites was incorrect, as I seen one and was looking at it-- I guess it was lice... and the chicks I got were white leg bars and they were in a new container with new bedding and I also use the bedding for other animals that had no problem.. my other poultry do and did not have them and where no where near the chicks I had gotten..

8. djaousfarm

djaousfarm Just Hatched

Oct 30, 2016
    Hessel, Michigan
    I guess it's the weather effecting, I don't think I'll be getting chicks until weather warms up from now on... poor babies..

9. RAsChickens

RAsChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Honestly, shipping chicks is SO CRUEL AND INHUMANE it makes me want to barf! Imagine YOU in a box for 2 days in freezing cold temperatures! It should be illegal! I ABSOLUTELY HATE Meyer! They are stealing innocent chick lives! Most chicks arrive sick or dead!

Please remember the above post is my opinion and is not in any way, shape, or form, meant to offend anyone.

10. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    It's important for people to wait until weather conditions are ideal before having chicks shipped. Only you know when it is right for your area, the hatchery often doesn't know about your regional weather conditions.

I personally wait until the end of May or later so it's always warmer out. Shipping is a bit stressful on them, so making sure weather doesn't add to it is important and should always be considered before ordering.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by