Is slightly moldy feed okay to give pullets?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Sozoed, Oct 13, 2011.

  1. Sozoed

    Sozoed Out Of The Brooder

    36
    0
    22
    Apr 8, 2011
    Kept our feed in a sealed bucket that apparently wasn't so sealed. Recent rains came through, and much of the feed got wet. Sun dried it for about a week in large flat container, and most of it looks good. Can I safely give it to our birds?
     
  2. carrlr

    carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

    703
    1
    131
    Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    I would never intentionally give moldy food to any of my birds.
     
  3. Clay Valley Farmer

    Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

    739
    6
    121
    Sep 7, 2010
    No, I would not risk feeding it, chickens are very affected by micotoxins from mold.
     
  4. Barred Babies

    Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

    10,510
    14
    281
    Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I wouldn't. Have read on here where someone lost their whole flock because of molded food!! Better be safe than sorry!!
     
  5. Sozoed

    Sozoed Out Of The Brooder

    36
    0
    22
    Apr 8, 2011
    Thank you all! Into the compost it goes!
     
  6. Clay Valley Farmer

    Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

    739
    6
    121
    Sep 7, 2010
    Just make sure the chickens can't get at the compost...[​IMG]
     
  7. KandiandJerry

    KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

    Quote:X2
     
  8. drumstick diva

    drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

    82,503
    10,272
    816
    Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Don't give moldy food ever - can kill them fast
     
  9. ECBW

    ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

    812
    34
    133
    Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    Sounds like the feed got wet not mold and you saved the feed in time. If mold, you can see the discolor and fuzz.
     
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by