Is snowball blind from her right eye?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by arazittas, Jan 29, 2015.

1. arazittas

arazittas Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2015
    Hello all,

Recently my 5 year old pet silkie (snowball) got something in her right eye (roughly 9 days back). It was severly swollen and had alot of pus in it similar to the picture below (picture 1). Since then the pus on top of her eye has hardened and with light pressure we were able to remove it (picture 2 shows the pus shell that came out). Since then there has been a white mark in the middle of her eye and it looks like theres a white layer on it. We have been currently been giving her baytril and two other medications as prescribed by the vet. However, we are unsure if she will be unable to see and also when her swelling will reduce. Does anyone have any experience with bird eye injuries and give insight into what we can do. Each vet visit costs us approximately $300 so we are trying to avoid that cost as much as possible.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  3. arazittas

arazittas Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2015
    Thank you,

We just noticed today that there is another whitish layer of some sort of liquid that is developing over her eye so i guess she may be actually blind from one side.
    She does open that eye when she is moving around or jumping but i think that's more reflexive than her actually being able to see.
    But thank you for the links, really appreciate it! :)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by