Is something wrong or am I overreacting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by debilorrah, Sep 4, 2008.

1. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I went to the hen house last night and picked up my pretty black hen and petted her for a while, and when I puther down I had a smear of blood on my shirt. Do chicken bleed a little after laying an egg? I checked her and it wasn't a cut. I am a bit worried.

2. chilisweet

chilisweet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    I have no clue, but I hope everything is alright?!! [​IMG]

~Caran

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    A drop of blood smears and looks like much more. I would watch her just in case but I wouldn't worry over it at this point. It is common to sometimes see blood from a layer.

4. debilorrah

Since I am new at this, I had no idea. It wasn't much blood, but had me concerned nonetheless! Thanks!

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Once in awhile I've had a pullet that had a tiny amount of blood smeared on the shell of her first egg. Did she just start laying? I'd just keep an eye on her.

6. debilorrah

My problem is that we have 6 hens who were previously free range and we have no idea how old any of them are. I have two that are laying and no clue which two. This particular hen is the leader of the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by