Is Something Wrong Or I'm I Being Paranoid???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickie<3, Jul 7, 2010.

1. chickie<3

chickie<3 Chirping

Jul 6, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    So I am new to the whole chicken thing. I have 2 - 5 week old chicks. They are both doing great..playing, eating, growing..BUT 1 has his mouth open a lot and pants...is she hot ( it has been 100 degress the last 2 days) or is it this gapeworm I'm reading about? I'm nervous about it and if something is wrong I want to treat it b4 it's 2 late. I am reading a lot of stuff on here and I am realizing these chickens are very delicate creatures. I don't know if I can handle losing my chick.

2. 1_FnkyFrm

1_FnkyFrm Songster

Jun 6, 2010
    Knoxville, Tn
    Your chicks are hot and thats how they keep cool..

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member 9 Years

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They're hot and trying to cool off. Relax and provide shade. They'll be fine.

4. crazy chook

crazy chook Songster

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    Quote:I agree they are just hot, make sure you have plenty of fresh cool water for them and lots of shade.

Mine love watermelon and rockmelon when its hot.

5. chickie<3

chickie<3 Chirping

Jul 6, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    thank you for the support...I love my chickies and my kids think i'm a freak

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member 9 Years

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    My wife and kids and grandchildren put me in the "freak" category too. It's OK, normal people are boring.

7. mylittlechickpea

mylittlechickpea Songster

May 2, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I just put a couple apple slices for my Chickpea to snack on while I'm away for a few hours, and I sometimes will put ice in the waterer if it's muggy or humid. Just to make sure her water stays nice and cool. She likes the shade, and likes to walk on the concrete after i've sprayed it down, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: