Is something wrong with my 9-week old chicken?

beatriceanddaisy

In the Brooder
May 20, 2020
Greater Seattle Area, WA
Experienced chicken people - do you see anything alarming in these photos?

We got this RIR about 3 weeks ago from My Pet Chicken as a 6-week "started pullet" so she's now about 9 weeks old. She's always looked a little scraggly. She hates being picked up but a week after we got her we did a thorough inspection and didn't see any sign of pests or diseases on her body or legs. She had white flakes on her feathers which I read was due to new feather growth. However, 2 weeks later and she still doesn't look that different. These photos are from yesterday. She's eating and drinking fine, poop looks normal, energy seems fine.

We bought two other chickens from MPC along with her (seen in the photos) and neither of them appear to have the same issue. So I'm hoping its really slow molting but I'm brand new to chickens, so I wanted to run it by BYC.

Thank you so much!

Attachments

• IMG_1607.jpg
    IMG_1607.jpg
    579.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1606.jpg
    IMG_1606.jpg
    522.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1603.jpg
    IMG_1603.jpg
    716.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1612.jpg
    IMG_1612.jpg
    558.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1565.jpg
    IMG_1565.jpg
    430 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1564.jpg
    IMG_1564.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1563.jpg
    IMG_1563.jpg
    432.1 KB · Views: 8
She looks fine. When the new feathers emerge they have a cover, or sheath, that splits and falls away as the feather continues to grow out and the flecks are just bits of that cover hung up in her feathers before they fall off or are preened off. When you raise them from young chicks you have a better sense of the progress, you can see new feathers emerge that look like little quills because they still have the sheath on them.

She looks fine. When the new feathers emerge they have a cover, or sheath, that splits and falls away as the feather continues to grow out and the flecks are just bits of that cover hung up in her feathers before they fall off or are preened off. When you raise them from young chicks you have a better sense of the progress, you can see new feathers emerge that look like little quills because they still have the sheath on them.
Thank you!! That is so good to hear. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond!

Back
Top Bottom