is something wrong with my chicken?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sandrachx, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Sandrachx

Sandrachx Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2007
    Chelsea, MI
    i thought she was just molting, but now she looks pretty scary! i have 3 cochins and only this one is looking like this. other hens are now shunning her and i am concerned

1. for her safety,
    2. for the michigan cold we are experiencing, and
    3. if it isn't a molt, are the others in jeopardy?

she is also shaking her head from side to side - could be discomfort or ???

any input would be greatly appreciated!~
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Lice or mites would be my guess... especially if the other birds are keeping distance from her. Check the head, under wings and by the tail and vent for signs. There was a great PDF posted somewhere.... but I cannot find it... will keep looking

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  3. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    Wow - I thought it was a naked-neck turken at first! I agree with Guitartists' assment that it may be lice or mites.
    Do you use DE in your coop's litter on the floor?

4. chickenma

chickenma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I'm sorry but don't know what it is.
    I hope sombody does.
    But..whatever did this...... [​IMG]

5. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

That's not lice or mites, just a heavy molt. [​IMG] You can check for bugs if you like, it'll be easy because you can sure see her skin! They're little but by no means invisible, you'll see them crawling around and eggs on the feather shafts.

Poor baby, my Hazel molts like that, she'll shake herself and a cloud of feathers will go flying off her. It's pretty cold here in MN too, 20's at night. She'll be fine if you have a good shelter and buddies for her to snuggle with.

After they've gone to roost, go out and check on her. Feel her feet, if her feet are warm, she's warm. If you're really worried hang a heat lamp in there, she'll use it if she needs too.

Loosing that many feathers at once is a huge stress on the system, it wouldn't be a bad idea to treat her to a warm mash with catfood or tuna added.

With cold temps she'll grow those new feathers really quick. [​IMG]

6. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
  7. Sandrachx

Oct 16, 2007
    Chelsea, MI
    Quote:i have dusted the roosting pole (large tree branch) with DE, used it in each of the nesting boxes, and mixed it in the littler on the floor. not sure the ratio of DE/litter, but they definately have it in their midst. everytime i turn over their bedding or litter, i can see it in the air.

8. Sandrachx

Oct 16, 2007
    Chelsea, MI
    Quote:that's what she did! shook herself and i saw feathers fly - and every morning i'd do out and you'd think a chicken was hauled away against her will, so many feathers on the floor!

i am using a heat lamp in one corner of the coop - i can see the coop from my living room windows and i kind of missed seeing them hangin' out in their run these days - all 10 of them were "in the glow" the other day when it was gloomy, rainy and cold.

what is warm mash with catfood or tuna? how would i get her the treat alone without her getting shoved aside by others also wanting a treat? lock everyone out of the coop when i give it to her?

9. Sandrachx

Oct 16, 2007
    Chelsea, MI
    Quote:after reading this link: i have noticed 5-10 wild sparrows that fly into the coop almost daily to eat from the feeders. but she has nothing like what they show on this link - ewwww! just empty feather shafts and exposed skin.

10. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Warm mash:

Mix their regular feed with very hot water until it dissolves, add cat or dog food, or tuna to the mixture and wait until it softens. Make sure it's not too hot when you serve it, you don't want them to get burned.

How solid/liquid they like it will depend on the individual but they usually eat it like little feathery pihranas.

The great thing about it is you can mix anything into it, powdered vit/min, yogurt, whatever you want them to eat and they'll wolf it down. It's perfect for administering medication.

I usually feed the one I want, after dark with a flashlight, that way she's the only one who get's it. Take her off the roost and away where the others can't see her.

Sometimes you need a healthy one too to teach her that it's good to eat because when a hen isn't feeling well she might not want to try it. A little competition works wonders. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by