Is something wrong with my rooster?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by conniesue27, Jan 26, 2011.

1. conniesue27

conniesue27 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2010
    atwater ohio
    My Buff Orpington rooster's comb is black on the tips and his wattles are showing some discoloration on the tips also. Is this a sign of frost bite or is something else wrong? It's been in has been pretty cold here in northeast ohio, with temps on the minus side. I have a heater in the hen house that I just use when it gets really cold. Any feedback is well appreciated, this is my first winter with chickens!

2. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    From what I have read, it does sound like frostbite - try putting some Neosporin on it. We have had an awful winter here in KY, too, and I am soooo sick of it...and it snowed like another 2" last night! I have coop heaters and an auto thermostat plug that switches itself on and off (from shopthecoop.com) and so far no frostbite, but I'm watching out for it.

deb g
    NW KY

3. conniesue27

conniesue27 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2010
    atwater ohio
    Thanks...just looked it up and sounds like frostbite to me too. Just read a post from "Raising chickens for dummies" and it said to not worry about it, that it world eventually fall off. Just hope it dosen't get worse, we're suppost to get cold temps next week. Can't wait untill spring!!!!

4. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by