Is something wrong with the eggs my chickens lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MontanaChickenLady, Sep 28, 2011.

1. MontanaChickenLady

MontanaChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Beautiful Montana
    My 4 hens have all been laying for about a month now and I've noticed when I crack open a refrigerated egg, the egg white is a little cloudy.....unlike the store bought eggs that have totally clear egg whites. They get layer feed, cracked corn, oyster shells and some garden and table scraps. Am I doing something wrong with them? Thanks for any input. Carrie

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2011
  2. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

"EGG WHITE--A cloudy white in a raw egg is caused by carbon dioxide and indicates freshness. As the egg ages, the carbon dioxide escapes through the pores of the egg, and the white will become less cloudy. A pinkish or greenish-blue raw egg white possibly indicates spoilage with a certain bacteria (Pseudomonas spp). We recommend not eating these eggs."

(Just
    also mentioning that some cloudiness can be caused by illness, but cloudy is usually because they are wonderfully fresh. [​IMG])

3. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Sounds like you have fresh eggs. You could put chickens on a strict laying mash only diet and keep keep eggs in the fridge for a month if you want them to be more like the store bought ones but once you get onto the taste of a farm fresh egg I doubt you will want to do that.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I normally don't refrigerate my eggs but it's been so long since I saw a store egg I forgot what they look like.
    You're feeding OK, just to be safe don't feed a lot of cracked corn because it's so weak in nutrition(protein and vitamins)- just use as a treat.

5. MontanaChickenLady

MontanaChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Beautiful Montana
    Thank you so much for all of your help. I was just afraid I was doing something wrong with my girls as I've not had access to such fresh chicken eggs before. Good to know we are all on track. Thanks again!!

6. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Don't be surprised if you occasionally come across things with your eggs that are never seen in store eggs...eggs with natural, perfectly harmless "blemishes" never make it to the store shelf.

Sounds like they're getting great care. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by