Is something wrong with this chicks wing? (pictures)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by itsazoo, May 1, 2009.

1. itsazoo

itsazoo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2008
    Western PA
    This is our Guinea chick, Siren. The 2 bottom feathers on on her left wing stick out oddly, all the time. The right wing is normal. They have done this since day 3 when her wing feathers started appearing. She flaps her wings like the rest of the chicklets and it doesn't seem to bother her in anyway. I sure looks "not right" though! Should I be concerned? If so, can I do something about it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  2. itsazoo

Jul 6, 2008
    Western PA
    Nobody knows? Uh oh... I'd ask a Guinea forum if I knew one, but I've just got you guys.

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  3. itsazoo

Jul 6, 2008
    Western PA
    She's finally hopped and flapped her way up onto the box!

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  4. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sunny the Hippie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    I had a button quail do this.. I so thought it had angel wing. But after its wing was totally feathered. It didnt appear to be that way any more.. Only one out of 14 did this.

Just in case it is angel wing.. Do a search on this site and read about it.. I have also heard of people taping the under side of the wing to make it stay in place.. And other I have heard tie them down some how.. ?????

Good luck with your chick..

5. itsazoo

Jul 6, 2008
    Western PA
    Thanks! I'm new to this and never heard of Angel Wing. I'll google it. Thanks much.

6. NotTheMomma

NotTheMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

check into duck wing in chickens. I read something about it the other day, and it MIGHT be that. I think it was due to a vitamin/mineral deficiency but I could be wrong.

Keep us updated.

7. itsazoo

Jul 6, 2008
    Western PA
    Thanks for the suggestions!

I've read into Angel Wing and in the pictures I've seen the odd feathers stick way out. I'm hopeful that since her 2 feathers don't stick out very far that she doesn't have that condition.

Apparently it can be genetic or caused by getting too much protein as a chick. Siren is eating the same starter crumbles as the chicks.

I'm afraid to tape it because I'm sure the other chicks will peck it incessantly. I don't want to quarantine her because she HATES to be by herself (and since she's a flighty Guinea) I want her to be a well established part of the flock.

[​IMG]
    From what I've read it seems to happen to ducks & geese more often.

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  8. NotTheMomma

NotTheMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, angel wing is what I was thinking!! Sorry I said duck wing. I hope you can find out what is going on. HUGS!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by