Is something wrong with this egg?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hanakimi, Nov 20, 2013.

1. hanakimi

hanakimi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2012
    Hamilton County, IN
    I checked this egg today at 3 weeks and it doesn't look like the rest. The eggs are under a broody hen rather than in an incubator. Has anyone seen this before? Is it an early quitter? Any information you may have would be welcome.
    [​IMG]

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    [​IMG] what are you seeing? to me it just looks like a half dark half light egg?which would be normal for an egg that hasnt pipped the inner membrane yet. if the hen thats sitting is also the layer then she probably started sitting some before she finished laying.

3. hanakimi

hanakimi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2012
    Hamilton County, IN
    The egg is half dark and half light and the hen sitting on it is a LF and this is a bantam egg. It looks to us like the top section is dark the middle on the front there is lighter but still shadowy and the bottom is clear. Thanks for the reply.

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

If this egg has been under a hen for 3 weeks it is not going to hatch.

5. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    its day 21, bantams usually hatch faster then large eggs, but i would not rule out a hatch yet. i guess you dont see any movement but if you do a fast very small turn do the contents move? that would more than likely make it a bad egg. there is a float test on here somewhere , i dont know anything about it though

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by