1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is something wrong?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by duke 2, Mar 23, 2016.

1. duke 2

duke 2 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2016
    My baby chicks like to sleep a lot and lay in the cold part of the brooder, they still run around and eat and drink but they still always go back to the one side to sleep, are they okay? The brooder temp is around 85 degrees

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire UK
    My Coop
    If they are going to the cool end of the brooder the heated end is too hot for them. If your using a lamp I would raise it up so the heat is not as intense for them. They need to be able to warm themselves up and cool themselves down as they would with a hen.
    How old are your chicks?

ETA ~ This is a good article to check out ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/raising-your-baby-chicks

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  3. duke 2

Mar 22, 2016
    They are two weeks old, I have the light attached to a dresser and the light is about two and a half maybe three feet from the bottom of the box

4. duke 2

Mar 22, 2016
    [​IMG]

5. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire UK
    My Coop
    I'm afraid your box is too small and the lamp is too close. They have no way of getting out of the heat in there. The lamp is heating the whole box up.
    If you can give them as much room as possible or get a smaller watt bulb. Tilting the lamp could help by only heating one end of the box up. At 2 weeks mine are heading outside but can go back in when they want a warm up ~

[​IMG]

6. BertandMary

BertandMary Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    You can also cut some venting holes on each side of the box to allow heat to escape. I agree with the previous poster about it being too small and too hot. You've created an oven and they are simply too small to bake. (lol?)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  7. duke 2

Mar 22, 2016
    Could I angle the light up more so it shines on the far side of the box?

8. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire UK
    My Coop

Yes, I would do that as soon as you can so they can cool down. Make it just so part of the box is warm.

9. duke 2

Mar 22, 2016
    Okay I will do that, thank you all so much!

10. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire UK
    My Coop
    Your most welcome, good luck with your chicks :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by