is something wrong?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by LadyDixieChick, May 19, 2011.

1. LadyDixieChick

LadyDixieChick Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    Rock Hill, SC
    we bought 9 cornish chicks at our local tractor and supply store. They are about 4 1/2 weeks old and growing fast! We will be filling our freezer soon. But I noticed on almost all of them around their lower neck, something that looks like a small tumor. it does not seem to affect them. They seem fine. Also one breast seems much larger than the other one. They almost seem lop-sided. Are these normal characteristics of cornish, because of their rapid growth, or is something wrong?

2. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Sounds like a full crop to me. The crop is where their food goes. Can you post pics?

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'm guessing that the "tumor" is their crop. About the disproportionate size of their breasts? I don't know.

4. KYChixMama

KYChixMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    I agree - it's a full crop. Buggers never stop eating... or pooping... [​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  5. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    My birds' breasts sometimes look different sizes when their crops are full. To see a pic of a chicken having actual crop surgery, to see how big they can get, click here . Not too graphic but I still, it is a surgery pic.

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  6. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG]

You are seeing a full crop. Search "tumors" and you will probably find many posts where people thought the same thing when they saw it. [​IMG]

7. LadyDixieChick

LadyDixieChick Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    Rock Hill, SC
    WOW!! Thanks everyone! I am new to this and I feel relieved. I knew they were not acting sick. They certainly do know how to eat!! These 9 are going through about 8-9 pounds of feed and 2-3 gallons of water daily! They waddle to their feeder and lay down to eat and drink...Nap a while...then REPEAT!! LOL

8. KaneMoa

KaneMoa Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    You gotta be very careful about not allowing them to over eat or lay down and eat or drink. I always use hanging feeders and waterers because they need to stay active and work for their food. You also need to remove hanging feeders at dusk and replace in the morning. Feeders and waterers should be hanging at the heighth of their backs. Very important, they will eat until they break their own legs. They can easily eat themselves to death. I have 25 cornish and they only get about 5# of 24% protein poultry grower mash a day and some cracked corn scratch if its not to hot out. Yours may be over eating and they have to keep drinking to keep processing their feed. Try to implement a similar feeding schedule and you will notice the birds will get more active, the water consumption will decrease, coop will be cleaner,breasts even out and the end result will be better meat. The bumps on their back is it the wing joint? Birds can be huge with itty bitty wings and wing joints that look kinda gross when they're molting. Lol. Good luck with your meaties.

9. QCFChicks

QCFChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2011
    Robin'sBrood :

My birds' breasts sometimes look different sizes when their crops are full. To see a pic of a chicken having actual crop surgery, to see how big they can get, click here . Not too graphic but I still, it is a surgery pic.

Wow! That is huge thanks for the pic​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by