IS something wrong??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by storms02, Jun 9, 2011.

1. storms02

storms02 New Egg

Jun 7, 2011
    I have 5 white leghorns and there are a couple of them that will lay on there side and stretch there necks out and lift one wing. Is this something to worry about??

2. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    Are they dustbathing? The first time I saw my chickens dustbathing, i thought they were having seizures.

deb g

3. acw123

acw123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    Charlottesville
    my chicks, all diff breeds have done this and usually they did it in the brooder under the heat lamp. Like they were sunning themselves.

4. How old are they? Are they panting? What temp do you have them at? Are they otherwise acting fine? (it sounds like normal chick behavior)

If you are using a brooder lamp, make sure they can get out of it to get cool if they need to. Fwiw, mine always liked it cooler than they were supposed to.

5. BetterHensandGardens

BetterHensandGardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Clinton, OH
  6. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    some say they are guarding their territory... I think they are just chillin like that. Mine have been doing it from day one and there fine. Granted they don't do it a lot but i occasionally see them doing it.

7. sassifrassi

sassifrassi Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2010
    Toronto
    Sunning themselves. Wouldn't worry about it. Mine did that first time they went outside. They also slept on their sides in the brooder under the heat lamp.[​IMG]

8. benjoycei

benjoycei Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Wilmington
    ain't it cute when they do that? [​IMG]

9. joneus

joneus Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Ballston Spa
    Mine do that every morning when I take them outside. Its like they're stretching out and enjoying the sunshine!

10. NORMAL chicken behavior. Stretching, sunning, relaxing....It's ALL GOOD.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by