1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is something wrong??

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Bryam, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Bryam

Bryam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Hello!
    So I had placed my shipped button quail eggs in the incubation on Friday, October 24th at midnight, so from my calculations it is day 15 and 7 hours and there is nothing going on. No pips, temp is 100F forced air, humidty is 65 percent. Shouldn't they be pipping by now? The temp did go up to 102 for a few hours when I took the eggs out of the egg turner on Thursday night. Could that have killed them? I seem to have no luck with shipped eggs!

I appreciate any advice that you can give me.

2. Bryam

Aug 19, 2008
    i think they all dead from the temperature spike.

3. btguy

btguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2013
    North Mississippi
    they really aren't due till tomorrow but I'd give them a couple of days extra before writing them off. I've had chickens show up 2 days late before.( day 23 for them) I'm not sure how forgiving quail eggs are to temp spikes but I'd like to think some would survive one that short and small

4. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

102 is not a critical temperature for an embryo and none of those chicks has a digitial watch they won't hatch at exactly the millisecond of the 17th day. They'll hatch when they are developed enough to do so. Patience is key at this point. Don't open the door, don't mess with anything.

Never tell someone to give up on a hatch. Ever. There is no way you can know if the embryo reached a critical temp or not during his temp spikes. People come here for advice beware that they take yours when its something like this. And so that you are aware for the future 103*F is the critical temp for embryos in a quail egg and they have to not only reach, but sustain that temperature for an adequate period of time before mortality occurs.

5. Bryam

Aug 19, 2008
    Lol, you do realize it is me who gave myself bad advice? Lol, okay, I noticed one egg has pipped! Lol, out of 33 eggs I will hopefully get a few babies! The temp was only at 102 for like 30 mins. The temp is back at 100F. I think I am overexcited! Boy sometimes it is really hard resisting that temptation to crack those eggs open and see those sweet adorable quail chicks! Lol, I will be good! Thanks for the great advice!

Be positive!!!!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  6. btguy

btguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2013
    North Mississippi

I have the same problem... Go to sleep go to work or call a girl for a movie and dancing. Hopefully by the time you run out stuff to do you will have babies

7. Sill

Sill Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    I've had normal chicks hatch after a temperature spike. Just let them go and see what you get. Patience is key now, don't open the incubator or you might shrink wrap your eggs.

Hope you hear peeping chicks soon!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  8. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Nope I answer so many question sometimes I miss the little things.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by