Is spring/summer in Australian a good time to raise new born chicks?

MadMonkeyOne

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 27, 2012
We're going to put fertile eggs under r chickens but its spring/summer in Australia and I'm worry the days will be to hot and nights to cold? Should I take them in the house when their hatched and hand raise or let a mother do its job? She's never had babies and she really not very bright (even by chicken standers) should I train them some way before giving them the eggs?
Thx bye

Hi ,r yr chickens broody,if not giving them eggs will not work ,u will need to put eggs in an incubator.

Yeah ones broody the others don't care. I think she will be a great mum it's extrely hard to separate her from her normal eggs every morning. She stays in the coop with the other chickens eggs when they go for a run aound outside
I'm just worry bout the heat of spring/summer will it kill em?
If I had to get an incubator how much would one cost? Need to hold round 4-6 eggs?
Thx for the reply!

if she's broody ,u can slip the fertile eggs under her at night ,(swap her eggs for fertile ones) maybe leave some of her eggs under her for a couple of days to ensure she's fair dinkum about sitting,some new broodies give up after a few days.
Unless temps r getting over 35 degrees C during the day she & eggs should be fine .ensure she has water & feed close .
if u decide u need an incubator u can buy cheap($75-90 )ones on ebay, a good one would be over $300.
if u r sure she is a good sitter u may want to keep her separate from others, so they don't try to lay in her nest or she tries to gather more eggs from the others. hope that helps

Will she mined being separated when sitting on eggs will it effect if she's broody or not? She makes a big racket when she's alown.
It hits 20-45c here should I keep the broody chicken with eggs inside?
I will check out the incubators on eBay.
thx heaps for the reply!

Back
Top Bottom