Is Stall Dry okay for chickens?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Bookworm chick, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Bookworm chick

Bookworm chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    I know I've read on the forum and in articles before that many people use it in their coops. Today we were in Tractor Supply and I was ready to put a bag in my cart and my husband said it might not be safe for chickens because there wasn't a picture on the front of the bag along with the other livestock. There was a broken open bag nearby and he thought the texture was of the sort that chickens would try to eat.
    Can anybody give me a convincing answer to this? With all the wet weather we've been having this week, the chickens have been spending more time in the coop and when I opened the door this morning there was a slight ammonia smell. I cleaned the coop and put in fresh pine shavings, which helped.
    I've also read somewhere that a small amount of cider vinegar in the drinking water helps with the ammonia. I had been using that but have slacked off the past month. Will the cider vinegar in the water hurt the baby chicks? They are 3 weeks old now and have been mingling with the rest of the flock (with their mother too, of course).

2. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    I haven't use Stall Dry in my coops yet but many do. I use Lime and DE.
    I give my chicks ACV in their water from day one.

3. JewellFarm

JewellFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Lebanon, Virginia
    I use it in mine all the time and love it. It helps keeps the smell and flys down as well.

4. rinnith

rinnith Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Pittsburgh pa
    I use it in with some of my adult quail, there inside and it does make a mess with dust baths! but, it never seemed to hurt them. (hopefully soon they will be out side and I can save on the price of that stuff!

5. neuchicontheblock

neuchicontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    I use it and it has made a huge difference for the chickens. Cleaner, drier, no flies. No complaining mother that has to shovel up chicken poo and wood shaving...

6. Bluemoon420

Bluemoon420 The Rooster Queen

Yep, I use stall dry. It's DE but in a small pellet form instead of a flour like form that DE also comes in. It works well, keeps the flies down, absorbs any wetness, and it's easier for me to get than finer ground DE.

Bluemoon

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  7. Over on Caney Creek

Over on Caney Creek Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2009
    Missouri Ozarks
    We use Stall Dry, too. The ingredient list is just diatomaceous earth and clay in a granular form. We put a layer on the floor under deep litter, then about once a week scatter another sprinkling over the shavings and fluff them up with a hay fork. Its amazing how dry and not smelly it keeps the hen house, not to mention cuts way down on flies. It's easiier to find than DE and here a 40-lb bag is $15 and lasts quite a while.

I just went out and looked at our 40 lb bag. It is mostly white with blue animal clip art in a circle around the label and it DOES have a hen and chick. On their website they show a brightly colored bag with animal photos and I don't see a chicken on that one. Maybe she wouldn't sit for her close-up! It also shows that there is also Stall DRY Plus, which has an antimicrobial added. I've never used that one.

8. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    We use Stall Dry in our coops and have never had a problem. I rake the coop (dirt floors), sprinkle Stall Dry, sprinkle a little DE on that, and then cover it with pine shavings. It really keeps it smelling good, plus the flies aren't as bad as they were before we used it. Then every weekend I just rake the coop to stir it all up. I just use new Stall Dry and new shavings after several days of rain.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by