1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is Stall Dry safe for a droppings board?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Robert J, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Robert J

Robert J New Egg

Oct 3, 2012
    Hello,

This is my first post, but I have often used the forums as a reference for looking after our chickens. My wife and I got our first 3 hens in May of this year and have been housing them in a small coop with an enclosed run.

I am currently building a new larger coop and enclosed run for a flock of 9 laying hens. I've read a lot here about the droppings board and have decided that that is the way I will go with my design. I have read many posts in various threads about the droppings board and have decided to go with the type that is modeled after an elongated tray that runs the length of the roost with a product in it that will help control dampness and odor.

I found one particularly long thread about using a product called Sweet PDZ in the dropping board tray and after researching it more, decided that that would be the product I would want to use. The problem is, it is rather scarce here in south central Ontario and I'm having problems finding any to buy.

However, there seems to be plenty of a product called Stall Dry. So, researching it here and elsewhere, I see that a number of you also use Stall Dry. But, I have only been able to find reference to its use in the coop and run for the floor and haven't found any direct reference (it might be there, but I 've missed it) that says you can fill the dropping board tray with Stall Dry.

So, I guess this long winded first post is really to ask the questions regarding Stall Dry (not Stall Dry Plus):

Is it safe to have the chickens able to walk directly in Stall Dry?

Can they safely do a dust bath in it if they choose?

Will it hurt them if they eat it?

Finally then, can I safely put it in a droppings board tray?

Thanks all.

Rob

2. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    As far as I know, Stall Dry and Sweet PDZ are pretty much the same thing. They were formulated for keeping horse stalls dry, therefore keeping the odor down. They're safe for animals. If your chickens have access to dirt for dust bathing, they likely won't pay much attention to the poop board. We use Sweet PDZ because it's readily available here and is reasonably priced. We don't use a poop board, so I just sprinkle it in the coop bedding and the girls do fine...and it's unbelievable how much poo can accumulate without the stink!

3. Robert J

Robert J New Egg

Oct 3, 2012
    Hi Mickey,

Thanks for that information. From what I've read, PDZ would be my first choice too.

However, I've also read that PDZ and Stall Dry may do the same type of job, but that they are made of different materials, and that is my concern.

I'm just trying to determine if the Stall Dry would be as safe as the PDZ if the Stall Dry was a 1" layer that the birds could directly interact with. From what I've read here, the PDZ is safe to do this with (on a poop or droppings board) and I was wondering if anyone has done the same with Stall Dry.

Thanks, Rob

4. Jakoda

Jakoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Old Lyme CT
    I had a gotten a free sample of stall dry, and maybe it's me, but it just seems much finer than what I like in the granular PDZ...I mistakenly got a powder PDZ and it's rather the same as Stall dry, but seems much dustier.. I like the granular pdz much better myself..

Don't know that the ingredients are different or harmful to chickens, mine seemed ok with it when I used it..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by