1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is "stuffy nose" type breathing sounds ok? normal?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by MsMoss, May 15, 2011.

1. MsMoss

MsMoss Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    a few of them breath kind of like they're stuffy nosed. they're other wise healthy, no droopiness, no signs of illness or anything.

2. Jocasta

Jocasta Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Waiting eagerly for a response as I have the same issue. It's only one or two of mine so far as I can tell. They breath through their mouths a lot. I know that poults are fragile, and also that respiratory problems for poultry can be very dangerous and I'm worried [​IMG] Lots of people warned me to expect losses but I don't want to lose a single one of them [​IMG]

3. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

I read somewhere that if turkeys have clean water, deep enough to dunk their heads in that it lets them wash out their nostrils and the problem solves it's self. I also met a lady with a pet turkey that she had to clean it's nose out with moist q-tips during out long winters when it spent extended time in the coop with the chickens...

4. Alas

Alas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Covington, LA
    If they are breathing through their mouths they may just be too hot. My turkeys and chickens will do that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by