Is sugar cane mulch OK for brooker?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tonim, Oct 22, 2011.

1. tonim

tonim New Egg

Oct 18, 2011
    I was wanting to lay something in the base of the brooder but can't find pine shavings locally. Is sugar cane mulch OK or what is the norm please?
    I heard newspaper is too slippery

My first hatch. Thanks

2. Eris

Eris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    El Paso, Texas
    From what I've seen on here things people have used for a brooder are pine (not cedar) shavings, rice hulls, straw, hay, paper towels, regular towels, or sand. Just something absorbent but not slippery. I think your pretty open to what you would like to use as long as you clean it regularly and its not slippery. Let us know what you decide to use.

3. tonim

tonim New Egg

Oct 18, 2011
    Thanks for that, I'm worried about the warning on the sugar cane mulch bale that says "do not inhale"and warns of microbial spores etc.
    The paper towels are getting expensive so I might just go and get some clean fine hay instead.

4. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    I agree tonim, chopped hay would be better. Sugar cane mulch can be a little dusty.
    cheers
    Erica

5. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Do you have a animal supply they will have a compressed bag of shavings for around $6 and opens up to 9 or 10 cu yds?

6. Eris

Eris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    El Paso, Texas
    I don't know much about sugar cane mulch other than I've heard it used for gardening, but I don't know the reasoning for that. If you cant find shavings or saw dust, then I would say go for sand, you might be able to find it in your yard or around town somewhere and they normally sell it at hardware stores.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by