1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is Tess a Rooster...?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by imloulou, Jun 18, 2007.

1. imloulou

imloulou Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2007
    NW Florida Gulf Coast
    Thank you guys for id-ing my "Silver Spangled Hamburg" freebie from MM. (In the What is this breed forum).

We have 13 chicks...all hens. We are not sure about the free chick which is the Hamburg. SHE is adorable. SHE is already getting the black dots on HER tail feathers. SHE is the smallest of our group but I heard that this is a small-ish breed. I was worried because her comb looks SOOOOO different from all our other chicks (RIR, White Rocks, Black Astraulorps, Barred Rocks, Delawares, and 2 Americaunas.)

I did a little research and found SHE has a Rose Comb...not a Single Comb...so of course she would look different.

I am stressing the SHE because we love her but are so afraid she may be a he. Her name is Tess and we are afraid we are going to have to call her Tess-ticle...LOL!!

Can you tell if our Tess needs to be renamed and relocated?

She is 4 weeks old:

[​IMG]

editing to add a side shot:
    [​IMG]

Thanks!!

Editing to add: As I am looking around...and reading the sticky above about posting correctly...this post may be more appropriate in the "Raising Baby Chicks" subject. Can someone move it if needed?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2007
  2. cheapcheap_jeepjeep

cheapcheap_jeepjeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Villa Grove
    I am not the best at this so bear with me. But she does look like my girl (Spot). But I hope I am right. [​IMG]

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Im not the best....but to me, looks like a hen. [​IMG] Tess.....hopeing I am right!!

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

For a pea comb that looks a bit rooish... My female wyandotte's comb is about that size... but she's about 4 months old. I would wait it out a bit longer. Give it one month, you'll know by then.

5. imloulou

Jun 8, 2007
    NW Florida Gulf Coast
    Thanks for the replies...keep 'em coming!!

silkiechicken...she does have a Rose comb not a pea comb...does that make a difference? A Wyandotte has a rose comb too? Hopefully this is 3 out of 3 that she could be a hen?[​IMG]

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Haha, I always get thoes two mixed up. My hen has that same comb shape though. I was just worried about that rosyness in the middle of the comb... especially since it's only like 5 weeks old. At that age all my pullets of all breeds still had pale yellow combs.

7. Claire_Bear

Claire_Bear Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2007
    Garrison
    Oh, i really hope Tess isn't a rooster! Roosters are nice but arent very conveniant

8. imloulou

Jun 8, 2007
    NW Florida Gulf Coast
    Quote:She is only 4 weeks old!!! Uh-Oh...

I will look tomorrow to make sure that the color posted above is accurate. I think it is pretty close though.

I hope not.
    Lisa

Last edited: Jun 18, 2007
  9. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I have two wyondottes that are supposed to be hens. I do think they are, but they are both looking different in the comb area. I was getting worried that one was a roo, but i think they are just maturing differently. [​IMG] I hope i am right. I might try in the morning to get pics for some second opinions......but at least you will have some others to look at and confuse yourself even more [​IMG]

10. imloulou

Jun 8, 2007
    NW Florida Gulf Coast
    Quote:ROFL!!!
    (Please do post pics!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by