1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is Tetracycline Hydrochloride Soluble Powder safe to use on ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MeaghanBusch, Feb 28, 2012.

1. MeaghanBusch

MeaghanBusch New Egg

Jul 9, 2011
    We ordered terramycin and got tetracycline hydrochloride soluble powder. Is the stuff we got safe to use on a Fawn and White Indian Runner duck?

2. critters

critters Chillin' With My Peeps

I am not an expert by any means but I have used that on my chickens, ducks, peafowl and guineas.
    This is the same stuff that tractor supply uses on their newbies....

I have Muscovy, Pekin and several mixed ducks. Haven't had any adverse side effects.

Maybe someone with more knowledge on this will stop in and reply...
    Good luck!

what are you treating them for?

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I actually just bought some but only to have an antibiotic on hand "just in case". What are you treating them for?

4. MeaghanBusch

MeaghanBusch New Egg

Jul 9, 2011
    I'm treating one duck for an open wound, to stop possible infections.

5. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Tetracycline is fine for ducks but be careful with the dosage. I'm assuming you're using a form of the medication that's added to their water. ducks consume much more water in proportion to their size than do chickens. Given at the rate designated for chickens they may consume an excessive amount of the medication. I'd be more inclined to use a topical antibiotic for an open wound, if I used anything.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  6. MeaghanBusch

MeaghanBusch New Egg

Jul 9, 2011
    We were using a topical antibiotic but his bandage wouldn't stay on--it's at the base of his neck over his shoulder, it starts in the center between his shoulders then leads around his neck and down, kind of like a 180 degree around his neck. We used blue-cote to seal the wound from bacteria, but we needed the internal antibiotics to stop anything from the inside.

7. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Can you make some type of a cover for him. Like take an infant/toddler t-shirt and cut it up the back, cut off sleeves, put on duck (wings go through where sleeves were) and attach the sides you cut with lacing, velcro, etc.

8. MeaghanBusch

MeaghanBusch New Egg

Jul 9, 2011
    We've tried things like that but he ends up tiring himself out by chewing on it. We did something with vetwrap but it had to be so tight we thought he might loose some circulation. And he chewed that a lot as well.

9. critters

critters Chillin' With My Peeps

try panty hose...cut the legs off, cut the toe out, double one over so the two cut ends meet and pull over 'its' head down his body.
    mark where the wings are...take off and cut at the marked wing line (stright line)...put back on and work wings threw.
    don't over cut wing openings as your duck will do this once he has it on.....

I used this for a duck of mine with angle wing, keeping his bad wing placed up on his side-to-back where it should be and it worked..
    the good wing was (due to cut in hose) able to stay out of the hose and flap etc

just a suggestion...maybe it can work for you too

10. MeaghanBusch

MeaghanBusch New Egg

Jul 9, 2011
    Thank you for the suggestion. However, my duck's wound is already healing so well that we keep the bandage off him. It's been sprayed with Blue-Cote, I think I spelled that correctly, and looks pretty good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by