Is that normal or naughty?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Enid, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Enid

Enid Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2011
    Hello.
    Im new here, my name is Hannah.
    I was wondering if anyone could advise me with something. I have 3 chickens at the moment but I think 1 of them may be a cockeral. 'he' is bigger in stature than the other 2 and his tail is starting to curl over downwards but the other ones are not. He also is a bit fiesty! Not aggressive as such but rather vocal. When I let them out this morning I watched for a while and noticed him annoying one of the others, as far as pulling the feathers at the back of her neck! Quite harsh I thought. She stuck her ground and ran off....is this 'boy' behaviour. he has the funniest trousers on too, much longer than the other girls have. He/she is taller too.
    I hatched them myself in an incubator from eggs my brother gave me from his chickens. His Boy one has a good temprement so Im not ocverly worried my one would be aggressive but i do have 2 children and would like to be aware if I need to be . Any advice would so be appreciated.
    They were born on 2nd October 2010.

hannah

2. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    [​IMG]
    If you could post a picture of the bird in question it would help a lot. A pullet or hen at the top of the pecking order can be aggressive like a boy if there isn't one around. It is hard to tell by your description. If you do have a boy and want to keep him I would do a search on training roosters so that they understand that you are the head rooster especially with small children around. Tons of good information on this site! [​IMG]

3. Enid

Enid Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2011
    Thankyou for your answer. I just popped outside and took this pic of him/her. Any clues?

[​IMG]

Also...if heisa boy...should i get more hens? I would only have 2 others if this isnt 1! i wouldnt want to ware them out or something, Ive read on here that that can happen. Ill do anything to keep them happy and content.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  4. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    It does look like a boy but still kinda hard to tell. I would look for saddle feathers near the tail. The hackle feathers are looking pointy like a boy's are. Are the other two the same mix? If so I would also compare their wattle/comb development to this one to see if they are the same or if his are larger and redder. Please keep in mind that I have only had chickens for less than a year so I am far from experienced. Very nice looking bird, do you know what the breeds are that in him?
    ETA - Sorry I didn't see your second question. If you want more hens then I would say yes! [​IMG] If he is a boy then I would watch the two pullets and see if they are losing a lot of feathers on their back once he starts mating them. If they are, then I would suggest more hens if you have the room for them. [​IMG]

5. Enid

Enid Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2011
    Gosh i wish I knew what breed he was. His dad is white mainly and his Mummy could be one of four hens. I have pictures of the parents and will upload shortly. I'll also upload a picture of grace, she is the same age (barr 4 hours (bless)) and she is tottaly different altogether! Lol.
    If anyone has ideas on what 'make' these little poppets are Id be grateful.

6. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    [​IMG]
    Pretty roo.
    He looks like a barred rock mix.

7. Lifesong Farm

Lifesong Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2010
    Noble County
    First off [​IMG]

I think he looks like a boy abd he is prob starting to feel like he needs to do his job.

Can I ask what country are you from? I like some of your word usage. Lol
    ETA that may also help everyone figure out what breeds your birds are.

8. Enid

Enid Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2011
    Im from Essex in England, about 30m east of London.
    I have managed to get together pics of Mum and Dad in the hope they may be recognisable!
    Grateful for everyones imput. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. The Tinman

The Tinman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Fairfield County CT
    You might want to get more girls. If he is a boy he will become protective of the hens and become aggressive toward anyone he feels is trying to take his girls. A good ratio is 8 girls to 1 roo. Also watch him carefully around your children. I have 16 girls and a very friendly roo,but that did not prevent my roo from going after my brother one day. It was pretty funny but if he was a young child it would have been pretty bad.

10. Tartannik

Tartannik Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Wet Argyll, Scotland
    Hi Hannah [​IMG]

What a gorgeous chicken you have there and so is his/her daddy!!
    I have 10 chickens including my cockeral and it tool me a while to work out what he was and then he crowed lol!!
    Be warned though, chickens are addictive!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by