1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is the 1st egg painful?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lttdoming, Aug 11, 2013.

1. lttdoming

lttdoming Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2013
    We have 3 20 week old pullets all reaching maturity. Yesterday the girls were "crying" all day. i couldn't believe how loud they were. One of our girls was in and out of the nesting boxes most of the day. It's funny because they have sat empty and untouched up until yesterday.

Is the 1st egg painful? Yesterday seemed pretty traumatic.

Late yesterday afternoon our Barred Rock Marsala wouldn't come out of the coop. She was super noisy and moved from each corner of the coop looking like she wanted to lay. The other girls would go in to check on her from time to time. I was very surprised on how loud she was. I honestly thought she was crying by the noises she was making. Since it was out 1st experience I was a little concerned. It was though she was acting like she was in labor...lol

When I close the coop up for the night still no egg.

This morning under the roost was a perfect little egg! Our very 1st one!!!

I must admit it was pretty exciting!

[​IMG]

2. QChickieMama

QChickieMama Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 1, 2011
    We have 3 20-wk-old pullets, too, and one of them laid her first egg yesterday! Must've been the day to lay. :)

I didn't notice any extra noise from ours, but they're a ways from the house.

3. Chic-N-Wisperer

Chic-N-Wisperer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2013
    Western Oregon
    I also have 20/22 week old Barred Rock that laid her first egg Monday and one every other day since. She has been very noisy and bossy with her steppe-sisters three English Orphs that haven't started laying yet but are very close. I don't know if it hurts or not. But it could be like chicken PMS.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by