1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is the 1st roo to crow the dominant one?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by champer, Feb 15, 2012.

1. champer

champer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    San Martin, CA
    Or is he the just the earliest maturing? I have at least 4 roos that hatched Jan 1 (so about 6.5 wks old) and one has started crowing.

2. Hiram

Hiram Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    In my experience, it is. My flock was 8 birds large of which I had 3 roos and the one who was dominate was the only one that crowed. It is my belief that he was the first. The others wouldn't crow at all. In the end I culled all three.

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I personally believe it could go either way. He could be the dominant one or he could just be a early bloomer.

4. Leslieb118

Leslieb118 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2011
    Louisville
    Out of one batch of chicks I ended up with 5 roos! The first one to start crowing was my little bantam Frizzle. However, after a little while, my very large Barred (something) Roo started crowing and my frizzle stopped. My 3 EE Roos never crowed while the other one was crowing. We've gotten rid of the barred roo and 2 EE roos. Now have one EE roo and my frizzled "baby" and the frizzle is crowing once again!!

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have several roosters - but the dominant rooster was the only Roo at first.. The next rooster growing up became his second-in-command. In the past two years, many more roosters have joined (and left) the flock, but Carl remains dominant. Charlie remains second-in-command.

However, there have been several little mini-flocks (groups) of hens and roosters developed within the main flock; Carl is the boss of all of them when he's around them, but if they move off into an area of the yard where Carl doesn't happen to be for a time, there is a roo in charge of that group of hens. Nobody but Carl or the mini-flock head roo can mount those hens. The other Roos keep "their" hens, but Carl has King's Rights to all of 'em.

Dunno if that helps...but I find it interesting!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  6. The Old Whittler

The Old Whittler Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2011
    I have two RIR roo's and the dominant roo was the last one to crow but out of the two he has the best crow. I enjoy the sound of the crowing.

7. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I think at 6.5 weeks it's too early to tell.

I had quite a few cockerals from different straight run chick batches and as they grew up, only one of them crowed at a time. When I rehomed the first, the next in line crowed. But they were already about 4 months old where true pecking order could be established.

None of them crowed until my Runner Drake was killed - I think he was the dominant male of the 'flock'. He used to chase my Buff Brahma (dominant) cockeral all over the run...hunt him down to do it even. The chicken weighed twice as much as he did, but didn't matter, he was afraid of the duck. I sometimes wonder if the dogs hadn't gotten 'Daddy', how long it would have taken for any of the cockerals to start crowing. I've considered getting another black runner drake to test that theory in the future. But he would have to have the same personality.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by