Is the a mixed silkie, a recessive gene or just deformed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Easter_pink_silkies, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Easter_pink_silkies

Easter_pink_silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    This poor dear came to me when i reqeusted a black silkie, when i saw her crooked little face and funny comb, i felt so bad for (after hearing the breeder say i didnt mean to grab that one. she apoligized and said she'd take her home a "do away with her") i knew she'd be comin home with me anyway.
    now he crooked face and beak could be anything from a naterual deformity to inbreeding.
    but that comb means shes either mixed, or has a rare recessive gene, im hoping after all else, its a rare recessive gene.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Dont feel too bad for her, she's just as adored as the others with her big beautiful eyes and crooked face, and her cute little floppy comb [​IMG]
    i dont even think she relizes she's different (exept the time she tried to scratch her face and got her foot stuck in her crooked beak) [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    You might be able to, slowly over time, file or trim her beak back to a more normal formation. I did that with one that was starting to cross, and he's looking quite normal these days. [​IMG] What a cutie... [​IMG]

3. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    She's adorable! I adore her sweet face!

4. Easter_pink_silkies

Mar 14, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I hope so, last time i tried to trim it, i barley pinched the quik, and thank you all, i just adore her.

I forgot to introduce her, her name is Amaya-its japanese for 'night rain'.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I have a gorgeous bearded buff that is the sweetest thing, but I can't show her because she has an incorrect comb. I was told it was a recessive gene
    Krista

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yep, a single comb is a recessive gene. Her cross beak doesn't look that bad either so some TLC and she can live a good life.. Although, if she's under 4 months old, I'd say that's a he. :p The single comb recessiveness seems to pop up ALOT in hatchery type birds.

7. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    Your bird does look very rooish. The single comb is the result of both parents carrying the recessive gene for the trait. Birds with perfect combs can carry the gene.

8. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I have one with a single comb just that same color. She is my star egg layer! Her eggs are HUGE for a bird that size and she usually knocks out one a day for months on end. They are grade A large and taste great!

9. Easter_pink_silkies

Mar 14, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Quote:Oh dont worry she lays me a small brown egg everyday, and then bock,bock,bogogks! to tell me to come get it [​IMG]
    [​IMG] here she is covering herself with Grass piece by piece [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  10. Easter_pink_silkies

Mar 14, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Quote:So does Amaya! you wouldnt have a pic of her by chance? amazing what giant eggs they lay for there size

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by