Is the Barred Plymouth Rock and a Barred Rock the same chicken?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Kataloo, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Kataloo

Kataloo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2014
    Utah
    So I noticed on the ratings of chickens that the Barred Plymouth Rock is rated #2, the Barred Rock is rated #17. To me, they look like the same bird. What is the difference between these two birds? Or is this just how people entered their reviews?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Same thing. Barred is a variation of a plymouth rock, just like white, buff, black, and any other color they come in. Just most call them barred rocks.

3. Kataloo

Kataloo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2014
    Utah
    If they are the same bird why are they listed twice in the breeds section? Are they really a number 2 choice bird or a number 17? I'm just starting my flock and was considering them because of their ranking.

4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    There is a lot listed under the "breeds section" that are not a true breed. Lot are also listed by their color variety, like its a whole different breed just because its a different color.

If you are thinking about adding plymouth rocks to your flock, I would suggest reading the thread for them in this same section. There's a lot of people on there that could help you out with information about the plymouth rock breed.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Keep in mind that breeds section isn't really policed or edited by anyone, it's open to pretty much everyone on the internet to post whatever they think. They might have had one bird of that breed, or a hundred, you really don't know. Or, and this is fun, maybe they didn't even really have the breed they thought they did! We get that a lot around here, so take things like that with a grain of salt.

I love Rocks in general. Barred Rocks have been the backbone of my flock for the last 10 years, hatchery birds, and they're great. I'm ordering some partridge Rocks this spring, cause, well, eye candy[​IMG].

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by