Is the bill okay?????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tia, Nov 14, 2009.

1. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    Is Peanut's bill okay or is there something wrong with it? All the rest of my fawn and whit Runner's bills look like the one on Buttercup in the second picture.

This is Peanut - Look at his/her speckled bill.
    [​IMG]

This is Buttercup - The rest of my fawn/white look like this.
    [​IMG]

2. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

yep, it's okay!

3. tia

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    Good cause after the feet thing... I'm not ready for something else at the present... It doesn't mean Peanut is a boy does it???

4. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    This particular question is always so funny to me! My second duck had a bill that looked like this (which I was told was normal when I got her) so I never worried. But, on hindsight, I can see why those of you it's new to would be concerned - I suppose it does look potentially diseased. Not to worry though, it's just all part of the 'coloration' thing.

5. tia

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    I was just thinking... us newbies that come on here with all the questions..."like no one ever asked them before" and you people that have been on here for a long time, and raising ducks for a long time... you are so patient with us.... thank you so much for that. I'm sure every time someone gets a duck... they go through the same bunch of experiences... and come up with the same bunch of questions.... and you here it over and over again.... and you don't complain... but keep on answering the question... that is great that you do that. We newbies sure appreciate it...... : )

6. barred-rocks-rock

barred-rocks-rock Can't stick with a Title

Jul 5, 2009
    Looks good to me.

7. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    Quote:Hey Tia, your household sounds a bit like mine - 29 YO daughter (with a Golden Retriever we babysit for), 1 rough collie, one aging blue-tortie cat, several ducks including 5 Runners (and oh, some chickens thrown in for extra good measure - but if you add some of those, go with the wee little Silkies cuz what they lack in egg size they make up for in egg production and cuteness).

And yes, they are a patient bunch here aren't they. Having been exposed to the purebred dog world it's such a pleasure to deal with SOOOO little animal politics.

8. tia

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    I live in a small town in Alaska... and I think all my friends think I went over the deep end when I said I was going to keep the ducks. They thought two dogs and a cat was more than enough. When I was young we lived on a farm in Ohio for a couple of years and had dairy cattle, chickens, a lamb, and a horse too. I think some of that stayed with me. I should be somewhere in the country. My son thinks I'm a little crazy too, but he still loves me. Gotta have some fun!!! : )

9. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    those are just duckie freckles. lol. Victor has a whole beak full of freckles. they come up sometime after they're done growing feathers usually.

10. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Mine got that coloration when they started laying eggs. It gets "moldier" when they are actually laying and fade somewhat when they are out of cycle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by