1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is the bottom half of a dog crate just a stupid place to brood chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by skatcatla, Jun 26, 2007.

1. skatcatla

skatcatla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    I'm trying to think of options so I don't have to buy a new cage just for the few weeks my chicks will need. I have a large dog crate, one of those plastic air-travel ones. Would the bottom half with a lamp clipped on and the water and food bottles work well do you think?

2. Barb Schuetz

Barb Schuetz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2007
    Viroqua, WI
    Absolutely! Just make sure it's clean, and you'll want to close up the open side.

3. skatcatla

Jun 26, 2007
    Awesome thanks! And by that, do you mean the front gate or the top? They wouldn't be able to get out the top of a 3 ft high crate would they?

4. arwmommy

arwmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    California
    Hi, I started the brooder thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6233

and
    as you will see, my babies were brooded in a Large dog crate. FYI, as they needed less and less heat, I just turned the heat lamp to the side more and more, so it was less directly going into the crate. It worked great and at 4 weeks we did away with the light (but they are in my living room, not outside!).

Good luck, it has worked out great for us!

5. skatcatla

Jun 26, 2007
    arwmommy thank you that's PERFECT!

One question, how do you know when they need less heat? Do they just back away from the lamp? Or is it a certain age thing?

6. arwmommy

arwmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    California
    As newborns they need to be at 95 degrees. (Put a thermometer in so you know what the temp inside is). Lower the temp by 5 degrees each week.

Check out this site for tons of info http://www.mypetchicken.com/ebook.aspx

also
    the book Storey's Guide to Chickens.

Good Luck!

7. Patch&Phoebe

Patch&Phoebe Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2007
    Kensington, CA
    Hi, we used a vari-kennel plastic dog crate, eventually moving the lamp outside the crate so they could get closer or farther fr the heat of it as desired. Worked very well for us. Good Luck!

8. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    My rule of thumb is "If it looks silly but works it's not silly"

9. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    With my first batch of chicks I used the Xlarge dog crate we already had. I left it intack top and gate. I mounted the light on a five gal bucket in front of the gate and moved it back gradually. The will move away from the heat if they are to hot.

The next time I just shoved the opening side against the wall and used the bottom alone with the light suspended from my cabinet handle that is in the laundry room. Either way it works like a charm. My dog crate has weels so it is ultra easy to take out and clean outside.

10. skatcatla

Jun 26, 2007
    Thanks everyone! I'll post photos when I get mine going. ;-D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by