Is the chick dead??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Renee08, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Renee08

Renee08 New Egg

Sep 3, 2016
    Does anyone know what it means if an egg has little to no development and red ring , but is still changing every day and I can still visibly see one vein that i couldn't before???

I am very new to incubating eggs. One is fine and moving! The other seemed to have died about 3 days ago. I was candling when I noticed that the veins had disappeared (except a ring) and the fetus moved when the egg was turned. Usually that would mean death but I kept it just in case. The next day it seemed to have formed a triangle and is now more stable when the egg is turned. On the third day the fetus is definitely a different shape, I can now see one vein ,and the general shape of the rest of the process is showing up (such as air cell and darker on one side) but the general size of the fetus has stayed the same. ??? Is the chick dead or not? Any help?? Today is day 8 of incubation.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    1 person likes this.
  3. Renee08

Renee08 New Egg

Sep 3, 2016
    The fetus got to about a 76 hours, the veins disappeared for about two days. now I can see one vein. other than that the rest egg seems to be at about day 8 except one vein so it's lighter.

4. Renee08

Renee08 New Egg

Sep 3, 2016
    [​IMG]
    Here is the best picture i could get. Please keep in mind that this is a phone camera and a normal flash light so there are about one or two veins that the picture did not get. when the veins first disappeared the fetus was only about as big as the darkest part.

5. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    It sounds like what you are describing is a blood ring, which is a sign of death. However, as long as it's not stinking or leaking, you can leave it in to be sure. I usually remove clears and quitters at day 10, sometimes they stay until later. I will add a candling thread so that you will get an idea of what you should be seeing on/about which day: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...g-candling-pics-progression-though-incubation

Ok, you got the same link twice...lol

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by