Is the chick dead?

brghtii

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 18, 2011
I have an egg that was supposed to hatch yesterday per a 21 day set. I heard it chirping through the egg on SATURDAY and moving all around but no pipping. Today is Thursday and I don't hear much at all. Could the chick have died?

He might be resting. If you put it up to your ear, do you hear any noises? I would tap a little hole in the big end air sac, and see what was going on. But from Saturday til now, that's way too long. Probably a goner. Sorry.

He was resting in a permanent way. I was so excited on Saturday when I heard the noise but thought I needed to let it be. I did and things got busy, by Monday we didn't hear much but my girls were sure they heard some noise there was quite a bit of yolk left too. I have had three chicks hatch and live. All had been light in color, this one was dark. It was my last one to hatch. There is a new one under her (my accident I left it when I was gathering eggs). I think it is too late to expect her to set on it though. She has set for close to a month now.

Plus my dang rooster attacked me and I'm seriously considering taking care of him. He has gone after my 19mo old and if he will go after ME, he has no fear. He was already headed out the door. He is in my avatar...so pretty but getting more and more aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom