Is the chick in egg on day 8 dead? Help! This is what I see in candling.....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jen61871, Apr 14, 2017.

1. jen61871

jen61871 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    Reinholds, PA
    Hi
    I have a hen sitting on 9 eggs, and today is day 8. I have an egg candler that I used to candle eggs today and I am stumped on one egg.
    Now on the other eggs I see what I am supposed to see. I could actually see the chicks moving inside, it was awesome!
    But I'm confused about one egg. I put it on the candler and the egg looked on date but what was strange was half the egg held the chick and the other half was all clear. Lkie the air bubble was not at the top. And the chick was not moving like the other ones but I don't know if that means anything.
    Can I have some thoughts on this egg?
    Thanks so much!

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Eggs incubated laying down will show growth on whatever side is facing up in the beginning. If that egg hasn't been moved by momma for a while it could explain what you are seeing. It may be a quitter, but I'd give it a few days and look again to see if it's changed before tossing it. Yes, I candle eggs under broodies, not nearly as often as when I incubate myself. I am fully aware of all those against candling broody's egg. Everyone has different philosophies.

3. jen61871

jen61871 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    Reinholds, PA
    Thank you for your reply. Why are people against candling under broodys? I read that you should in case an unfertile egg breaks?

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    There are people against candling period. [​IMG].
    Because the majority of hatchers run a hands off philosophy that grows even stronger with broodies. With broodies, it's a matter of leave them alone and let them do their thing. Don't disturb them. I prefer incubating myself rather than using a broodie. But when I have let broodies hatch I still periodically candle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by