Is the chicken broody? Please answer

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by youngbreeder, Feb 22, 2017.

1. youngbreeder

youngbreeder Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2017
    So, my chicken had eggs and was broody but she was laying on them in my neighbors house, so I went and got both the chicken and the eggs. Now, when I put her in a plastic crate for her to hatch them but didn't like it at first, maybe because it was a new place, so she tried getting out and refused to be in the cratekitchen so I had to cover her in the crate to prevent her to leave. A few days later she doesn't mind when I put her in there, she just automatically lays on her eggs buto the question comes when I let her out to eat. She just does her thing but I caught her perching. So I put her back in the crate and just sat back on her eggs. I'm confused is she broody or not? I would be grateful for a response.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Likely that she was, but moving her disrupted things a little. If she's not returning to her eggs, then I'd suggest leaving her be and trying again next time.

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    CT is right. Your hen was probably broody and was beginning to sit a clutch but moving her interrupted her "zone". Broody hormones can be tricky. It depends on a hen's metabolism and body temperature as well as her personal inclinations.

This is why it's such a gamble to move a broody and her eggs once she begins sitting. Some accept a move without any fuss while others immediately lose all interest.

If you want a broody to sit on eggs, it's best to get them used to using a nest in your coop and if she has to be moved, at least she will still be in the coop where she's used to things.

4. FarmerGirl101

FarmerGirl101 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2016
    She is broody for sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by