Is the coating on a wire fly swatter toxic?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by reveriereptile, Aug 17, 2014.

1. reveriereptile

reveriereptile Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    My son chewed a couple of very small pieces off the handle. It is a wire handle with the white coating. I have no clue what the coating is made of.

2. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Poison control 1-800-222-1222

3. reveriereptile

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    Thank you for the #. I kept an eye on him and he didn't have any problems. My FIL thought it was way to small of pieces to cause any harm.

4. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    you are welcome, and I'm glad your son is okay.

5. Rocky Rhodes

Rocky Rhodes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2013
    North Georgia Mountains
    I wouldn't worry too much, but I would discourage putting any part of a fly swatter in the mouth. Yuck!![​IMG]

6. reveriereptile

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    He was playing with it since he was watching me swat a fly. We have a ton of flies this year from the barn. I turned away to turn his Jake and The Neverland Pirates on and turned back and there he was with the end of the handle in his mouth. Since I've put a plastic hook up on the wall to put the fly swatter on for easy access but out of his reach.
    He has played with the fly swatters before but never put them in his mouth. He likes to go around and hit things cause he sees us doing it. He is trying to mimic more and we've been letting him use stuff with us around that he can't have otherwise. He gets to use crayons, the remotes, toothbrush, an old keyboard to help keep him away from ours, and a few other items with our help. He is 16 months old and wants to be a big boy. He acts proud when he does something we do.I plan on getting him a big boy potty for Christmas. That will be a nice fun adventure.

7. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    He's at such a fun age. :) My grand daughter just turned 18 months. I understand how quickly these things can happen. You turn your back for a second, and they are into something you thought was put away, something the little one never got into before...it happens fast. Glad to hear he is okay, and have fun potty training!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by