is the color "Eggshell" a misnomer?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by kareninthesun, Nov 26, 2011.

1. kareninthesun

kareninthesun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Having now been experienced in the world of raising hens, I am learning that egg shells
    and rainbows have a lot in common. For paint companies to call a specific color Eggshell, is like closing your eyes and reaching for a new box of crayons to color the sky on clean paper. What better way to remind us that jewels are close at hand?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  2. Clay Mudd

Clay Mudd Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    South MS swamps
    Quote:Good point. It's like "flesh colored" bandaids. Whose flesh?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Around here, we consider "eggshell" to be the sheen of the paint, not the color per se. I dunno.

4. kareninthesun

Jul 1, 2011
    Fred's Hens :

Around here, we consider "eggshell" to be the sheen of the paint, not the color per se. I dunno.

So, how about I add more confusion to the mix: if eggshell is the sheen, then all children, after spending a summer's day playing hard outside at a busy farm somewhere, after being scrubbled clean in the bathroom by a grandma whom can spot a speck of grime two miles away exits the bathtub the sheen of eggshell? Or is the eggshell sheen more comparable with a child whom chooses to bond with the chickens in their dust bath area? [​IMG]

5. kareninthesun

Jul 1, 2011
    Quote:Good point. It's like "flesh colored" bandaids. Whose flesh?

and...TECHNICALLY isn't flesh what is beneath the skin? Don't we choose if we want the skin of chicken crispy or removed and grill the flesh of the chicken? Shouldn't bandaids then be, if flesh colored more the color of what we cringe in watching movies where axes are flying by crazies wearing masks?

6. RaZ

RaZ Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Caseville, MI
    Fred's Hens :

Again, a misnomer. I get some eggs that are shiny shells and some that are a matte finish.​

7. kareninthesun

Jul 1, 2011
    Quote:Again, a misnomer. I get some eggs that are shiny shells and some that are a matte finish.

hehe...maybe it is closer related to the color I thought was light camel or Winter white towards the end of Feb when the sun hints of breaking through clouds...then changes it's mind.

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Eggshell is a color, matte is a finish.

9. kareninthesun

Jul 1, 2011
    How about Robin Egg blue? I've heard that the true color of such eggs varies on the diet, weather and age. Or Ruby Red. Lots of varients to the original stones. Yet, lets compare Ruby Red oranges or Ruby Red grapefruits. Can you identify by color alone the juice, and does it compare to...eh...the brillant reds which a mature hen or rooster carries above their heads?

10. kareninthesun

Jul 1, 2011
    egg•shell
    noun
    the shell of a bird's egg, consisting of keratin fibers and calcite crystals.
    a pale yellowish-white color.
    rather bulky paper having a slightly rough finish.
    adjective
    like an eggshell, as in thinness and delicacy; very brittle; fragile.
    being pale yellowish-white in color.
    having little or no gloss: eggshell white paint.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by