Is the common quail an aggresive bird.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by electrikass, Jul 27, 2011.

1. electrikass

electrikass New Egg

Jul 25, 2011
    What!
    I came back home, only to find my common quails five out of fourty five of them scattared in blood. Two female three males. The most serious one is that of one female whose neck skin got completely torn out. I dont think ordinary knife could inflict such an injury. The neck and the chest of the four other ones battered.
    The battle took place about thirty six hours ago. I have three cages and each cage has seven males eight females. Currently the injured female who is unable to move smoothly, laid an egg yesterday and about an hour ago too.
    Pls how can i save future reccurence. And can i discard the seriously injured ones. I hate to see the injury. Pls why did they fight to such intensity involving women among them ? Could the eggs they lay in these disabled state be fertile ? And how can the fertility last since in this condition mating is impossible.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  2. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Hi and welcome to BYC.[​IMG] I don't know anything about Quail. I hope someone can help.

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. Sorry to hear of your quail problem. You should post your problem under the Quail section on the index page. Sorry I can't help. Good luck. [​IMG]

4. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. So sorry about your quail [​IMG] I agree, someone in the Quail section should be able to help you.
    Good luck [​IMG]

5. chickendiva25

chickendiva25 I'm a Spy. :3

[​IMG] I would love to help, but as I know nothing about quail I cannot. [​IMG] But I hope someone can help you! Somebody in the Quail section should be able to help. [​IMG]

6. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia,CA and [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Quote:Way off on ratio. this will keep happening as long as you have them like this. 1 male to 4-6 females per pen. Males are vicious when in competition for breeding rights. yes the eggs will be fertile, you've got them over bred which is why the violence. lemme get you the quail sticky.

Start by reading here, then go down to the quail section and ask any questions not answered:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=102281

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  9. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana! Yep even though I know nothing about quail I was thinking that was way to many males in each cage. [​IMG]

10. alabamayardbird

alabamayardbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Winfield, AL
    [​IMG] from alabamayardbird

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by