1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is the convenience of skinning worth it?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by fowlfriends, Oct 7, 2007.

1. fowlfriends

fowlfriends Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2007
    Battle Ground, Wa
    I will be starting some processing of my birds - chickens, ducks, and turkeys. Some of them I will be skinning to save time, and my back. I have a LOT of birds to do - at least in my opinion.... Depending on how many I want to keep for laying/breeding stock, I have at least 6 turkeys, 11 ducks, and well who knows how many chickens? 30??

I assume the time the skinned birds keep in the freezer will not be as long if the bird still has the skin to protect the meat. I also wonder if I am loosing too much flavor by skinning, and if it will still have as much diversity in methods I can prepare it. Is it worth the time saved?

2. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    I know one person who says it is - dipsydoodledoo. Look her up and ask her.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2007
  3. fowlfriends

fowlfriends Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2007
    Battle Ground, Wa
    Thank you

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I prefer skinning. Much less mess and less "evidence" blowing around after wards. Also less hot water to heat, less stink. I still need to boil some water to save the feet to eat though.

I say go skin them! I mean you can buy costco breast pieces frozen, I don't think skinning whole birds will make that big of a difference. As for flavor, what's a loss of a bit of collagen and lipids?

It is ALOT less time too.

5. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    Think about how you/your family like to eat the poultry and how adaptable the recipes are. I usually end up doing some each way.

I'm more willing to skin if I have a lot of birds to do and am getting tired or somebody has a lot of pin feathers...nobody helps me so it's always a solo job start to finish.

Julie

6. JacobsRewardFarm

JacobsRewardFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2007
    Parker, TX
    fowlfriends, my husband and I processed 26 birds yesterday and we opted for skinning. I vacuum-packed them with my new Food Saver and it was as slick as a whistle. Now, that was my first ever processing so I can't compare the two methods, but it just seemed simpler to me for our first time to skin rather than pluck. I am going to post more about our experience over on the thread I started: "Tomorrow's the Big Day." See you over there...

Cindy T.
    Parker, TX

7. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    If you fillet the breasts off the ribs after skinning, and cut off the leg/thighs, then you can throw away the rest of the carcass without having to gut it. All you lose is the back.
    Seems like a good trade off for the amount of work saved and having less mess.

Chel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by