Is the Cool Lite Egg Tester any good?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by floridachickhatcher, Jul 3, 2011.

1. floridachickhatcher

floridachickhatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    I just hold the eggs above my flashlight and if i see a dark mass and the air sac i keep it in the incubator but im wondering if sometimes its quiters from the 1st week i can never see any movement in the egg and im wondering if i should buy a candling flashlight

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I made a candler out of a shop lamp with an 85 watt halogen bulb. Works great.
    [​IMG]

Infertile egg
    [​IMG]

Pheasant egg.
    [​IMG]

Here is an egg I candled at day 8. Click on the image.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  3. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    Nice thing about the Cool Lite is that you don't even have to touch the eggs. Working with a sportsman tray full of eggs you can just shine the light down through each egg and see what's happening. You can candle a tray of 90 eggs pretty quick that way. Of course if you want a closer look you can pick the egg up and take a peek.

4. Ceinwyn

Ceinwyn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Southeast Ohio
    I've switched to a remington blood tracker led flashlight now.
    Can see into really dark and colored eggs using the red led lights.
    Can see into light eggs in broad daylight, no more fumbling around in the dark and the flashlight is led so no heating up the egg issue for me either.

5. floridachickhatcher

floridachickhatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    well i had grabbed a tin can and had mom punch a big hole the size of a quarter on the top and i would rest the can on top of a flashlight to focus the light into the egg and if i see a dark mass on half of the egg then it looks like a good egg but sometimes they can be quiters and i thought maybe i should get something better to be able to tell if i can see movement

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by