Is the cooler wearther making anyone else's chickens act crazy?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by alogue5173, Oct 9, 2012.

1. alogue5173

alogue5173 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2012
    Harrison, Georgia
    I know my dogs get extra frisky and will run and play more now that the weather is cooler, but my chickens act like they have lost their mind. I let them out every morning to free range and put them up at night. Sunday morning when I went to let them out one of my hens bit me on the foot hard enough to leave a mark for no reason. Then later on I noticed one of my hens kept trying to pick fights with the other hens. Last night my roo attacked my dog and scared the poor thing to death. Then, this morning my roo came flying at me in attack mode while I was walking back to the house. Since the weather has cooled some everytime I let him out he runs around like a lunatic, puffing up and making noises. What do you suppose is the cause of all of this? Could it be the weather? Or has he just gotten to a crazy age or what? Any advice or opinions are welcome.[​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Most likely age. How old is he? He is trying to establish dominance over you.

3. alogue5173

alogue5173 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2012
    Harrison, Georgia
    I have had him since April and he was already about six months old or so then so I'm guessing he is around 12-13 months old. I'd sure hate for him to end up in a pot because he has been a really good rooster up to this point....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by